Being the closest chapel to his camp, it is highly likely that King James IV attended Mass in the Church of St. Michael & All Angels before the battle. Originally built in Norman times, it was significantly enlarged in the 19th century by the Newcastle architect John Dobson.
The current appearance of Ford Castle dates from the 18th century. However in 1513 it comprised four towers linked by a curtain wall. The home of the Heron family, it was captured by King James when he set up camp on Flodden Ridge. Legend has it that James found the company of Lady Heron to be very congenial and that he slept his last night in the castle. It is also held that Lady Heron had contact with the English army and may thus have been instrumental in influencing the outcome of the Battle however there is no evidence to support this.